Re: indent-tabs-mode in dir-locals

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: indent-tabs-mode in dir-locals
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 00:51:16 +0200

>>> I had believed the unwritten rule till now was "respect whatever the
>>> file currently uses" (which there should be a setting for; but that's
>>> a wishlist item).
>>
>> The problem is that this rule is still unwritten ;)
>
> I already had a local hack based on a mode-hook. Now it is broken
> thanks to dir-locals over-riding it. Anyway, I've just edited my local
> copy of dir-locals (making it kind of pointless).

Some modes set it explicitly to nil (e.g. texinfo-mode).  So the global
unconditional indent-tabs-mode in .dir-locals.el currently breaks these
modes, because mode settings are applied before file-local settings.
Maybe we should set (indent-tabs-mode . t) only for c-mode and
emacs-lisp-mode?

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/