Re: mode line eol char indication

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: mode line eol char indication
Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 22:44:59 -0500

> I agree. Emacs users will sooner or later come to recognize ^M as carriage
> return and ^J as line feed (newline). Might as well use these in the UI. They
> are succinct and clear.

By the time they figure out what ^M is "carriage return" and ^J is
"newline" and that there's a difference between the two, and what is
that difference, and how it relates to the EOL-convention used under
various systems, they'll be just as unlikely to be confused by (Mac)
or (DOS) or (Unix).

The current behavior is pretty close to optimal, I think.  And things
like CR, LF, ^M, ^J are just non-starters AFAIC.

        Stefan