Re: Emacs daemon dies at Xorg crash

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: Emacs daemon dies at Xorg crash
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:27:03 +0100

>> But "X connection lost" is precisely what happens. What could Emacs do
>> to prevent this, if there is suddenly no X server anymore?

> Kill the frames on the display that was closed and continue running?

But it does that? The error occurs _after_ deleting these frames.
Or am I missing something here?

> Your backtrace seems to show that the problem happens because of
> Fmake_network_process...

I think that this is an unrelated problem. (In fact, I'd better set a
breakpoint in Fkill_emacs, and you wouldn't have seen that part of the
backtrace at all.)

Here are the relevant frames of the backtrace again:

#2  0x081f8844 in report_file_error (string=0x82e8afa "make client process
failed", data=0x874d675) at fileio.c:277
#3  0x0829a4bd in Fmake_network_process (nargs=0xa, args=0x7f877cd0) at
process.c:3632
[...]
#42 0x0824debd in Frun_hooks (nargs=0x1, args=0x7f8793f4) at eval.c:2591
[...]
#45 0x081c1a14 in Fkill_emacs (arg=0xfffffff8) at emacs.c:2087
#46 0x081c3219 in cmd_error_internal (data=0x874618d, context=0x7f87946e "") at
keyboard.c:1274

Fkill_emacs is called because cmd_error_internal doesn't like to
output the error message ("Connection lost ...") to the initial frame.

Fmake_network_process is called later, while running kill-emacs-hook.
This is unrelated to the original error.

Ulrich