Re: bogus binding of C-w in isearch editing mode

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: bogus binding of C-w in isearch editing mode
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 03:30:18 +0200

> After entering "editing" mode in isearch (to edit the search string),
> via M-e, most editing commands work normally, but C-w doesn't work.
>
> Instead, it displays an error that the "binding is obsolete, use M-s w
> instead" (for some reason it doesn't saved in *Messages* so I don't have
> the exact wording).  Very annoying...

This was intended for a gradual transition from the old word-search binding
to the normal kill-region binding (declaring it obsolete in the next release
and rebinding it in another release).

We could display this warning only when there is no mark in the minibuffer
and point is at the beginning, and calling kill-region otherwise.
Or we could abandon this half-assed solution altogether and bind C-w
to the standard kill-region binding now.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/