Re: font name not decoded in the output of describe-font

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: font name not decoded in the output of describe-font
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:44:19 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, address@hidden writes:

> Quoting Miles Bader <address@hidden>:
> > >
> > > I've added code to decode and encode font names in the w32 font backends.
> >
> > The same problem exists in the output of `C-u C-x ='; I thought
> > Handa-san said he was going to fix it, but... maybe he forgot?

Ah, yes, sorry.

> He said that the fix will need to be specific to each font backend.
> I fixed the W32 font backends to decode the font name, but the problem may
> still
> exist in other backends.

> My understanding is that Truetype fonts that contain localised names also
> contain an ASCII name. On Windows the localised name is only used when the
> system locale matches. I don't know under what circumstances if any xft uses
> the localised truetype font names. And whether localised names are used in
> other font types, and how to tell the encoding.

At least, X font-backend has to decode a font name by
iso-8859-1 if the name has 8-bit code (but I've never seen
such a font).

For Xft backend, the problem is fontconfig.  It seems that
it always provide an UTF-8 encoded name, but I couldn't find
a document saying that clearly.  This page:

http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-devel/x19.html#AEN27

says only this:

    Property       CPP Symbol           Type    Description
    family         FC_FAMILY            String  Font family names
    familylang     FC_FAMILYLANG        String  Language cooresponding to
                                                each family name

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden