Re: CVS version: message mode + flyspell terribly slow

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: Re: CVS version: message mode + flyspell terribly slow
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 15:06:36 +0100

    Chong> It turns out that tool-bar-make-keymap is rather expensive, leading
    Chong> to slowdowns like the above when it is called repeatedly.  I'm not
    Chong> sure why flyspell+message causes it to be called so often, though.
    Chong> Maybe a gnus hacker can enlighten us.
    Chong>
    Chong> If we want to make tool-bar-make-keymap less expensive, one way is
    Chong> to cache its computed value, in the same way that we cache tool-bar
    Chong> image specs.  See attached patch, which seems to eliminate most of
    Chong> the slowdown.

Thanks for the quick fix and especially for saving me a lot of time in tracing
this down (yesterday I started with a CVS version from 31.01.08 and I'm sure
it would have taken me a lot of time to find it).
I tried the newest version and it's a big improvement.
Maybe I should switch the tool-bar of anyway, since I hardly ever use it.
I mainly keep it so that my colleagues wont say that emacs is an old fashioned
editor :-).

Thanks again

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Alcatel-Lucent               |
|  Email:             address@hidden  |
---
There are two ways to write error-free programs.  Only the third one works.