Re: [Emacs.app dev]: issues with NextStep (Cocoa) port: epa-file and fre

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: [Emacs.app dev]: issues with NextStep (Cocoa) port: epa-file and frequent crashes
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:52:14 -0600

On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 12:21:26 -0500 Adrian Robert <address@hidden> wrote:

AR> Does it happen when running emacs-23 on OS X under X11?  When you say
AR> "Ubuntu", do you mean Emacs.app under GNUstep there, or X11macs?

>> X11.

AR> OK.  In these cases, though it's a pain, it's helpful to test on X11
AR> on OS X, or GNUstep on Linux, to narrow down if it's an OS-related or
AR> Cocoa-related bug.

I've been using Gnus in the X11 Emacs build on Mac OS X for several
weeks now and have not experienced any epa-file GPG errors.  They only
happen with the Emacs.app Cocoa build from Emacs CVS.  You can reproduce
them easily:

1) install GPG in your path
2) load epa-file.el
3) C-x C-f /tmp/secret.gpg
4) C-x C-s (to save it); use symmetric encryption
5) kill the buffer
6) C-x C-f /tmp/secret.gpg; enter your passphrase again

Step (6) works fairly randomly, maybe 3-4 out of 10 times and usually
interleaving success with failure.  There's no obvious cause for the
error.

The X11 build has not crashed for me all this time, so I'm not eager to
use Emacs.app on Mac OS X and lose work randomly.  How can I help catch
these crashes so we can log and understand them?  Do we need other Cocoa
developers (which I am not)?

Thanks
Ted