Re: error in server-running-p on M$

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Re: error in server-running-p on M$
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 16:35:07 +0100

>> I think that the false positives are not the problem, but the false
>> negatives (i.e. port is in use, but server-running-p returns nil)
>> are.

> Ports are assigned at random. The new instance is not going to reuse
> the port in the authentication file; we're starting the server with
> :server t.

As an example: The auth file is on an NFS mounted filesystem, and the
Emacs server is running on the machine of the NFS server. How would
assigning a random port number help here?

With the proposed test, server-running-p will return nil in this case,
since it will find an auth file but no associated Emacs process.

Ulrich