Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: C-x C-b and C-x C-f bugging about confirmation
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 13:03:52 -0500

> have a RET rejected.  You might argue that it's no big deal to type a
> second RET, but it's similarly no big deal to kill the buffer and try
> again in the very few occasions that you make a mistake.  So this looks
> like creeping featuritis if it's enabled by default.

In my experience typos (most commonly after a TAB completion which
completed less than expected) are a lot more common than opening
a nonexistent file.  And hitting RET one more time is much less painful
than killing the new buffer and starting over (opening the buffer may
have created a frame, may have prompted the user for insertion of
a default template, and after killing the buffer you have to repeat the
previous command and retype the name all over again).
The trade off is blindingly clear to me.

My take on it is that if the feature had been the default from the
beginning, nobody would even contemplate adding
a `confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer' option just to save themselves
typing RET one extra time when creating a new file.

So while I understand that habit will make people complain, I think
those complaints will disappear quickly.

        Stefan