Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: files.el: Patch to make project-settings optional/customizable
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 16:14:29 -0800 (PST)

"Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:

  > On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 00:41, Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden> wrote:
  >
  > > What is the advantage of that?
  > > If someone is so offended by the .dir-settings.el name, they can:
  >
  > And why are you so offended by a defvar?

Because it's not a variable, it has to be a constant.  (And a string
literal as it was until a few days ago is even better.)
In a few years someone will see the defvar and will want to turn it into
a defcustom and we'll have the same discussion again.

  > It doesn't even have to be
  > documented, other than a docstring:

Each extra variable adds a  bit of complexity, and there's no shortage
of that.