Re: pointer to bug db?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: pointer to bug db?
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:03:35 +0900

Chong Yidong writes:
 > Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:
 >
 > > Shouldn't there be some sort of pointer from the emacs savannah page
 > > (and homepage) to the emacs bug db, wherever that is?
 >
 > I was hoping to do that after Don Armstrong moves the bug db to the
 > debbugs.gnu.org server that the FSF has set up for us.  But he hasn't
 > gotten round to doing it yet.

HTTP redirects are your friend.  Of course ask Don's opinion on the
matter first (he may be bandwidth limited or whatever).  If he's OK
with it, technically there's no real problem in doing this as long as
people are made aware that Don's server is a contrib effort that will
move to a canonical URL later.

Another possibility (the one that I've used with our experimental
tracker) is to have debbugs.gnu.org as an alias for Don's server until
the content has be duplicated on the FSF's host.  That typically
requires a bit of configuration on Don's part so that the virtual
server stuff works, but that's all.