Re: VC commit missing ChangeLog message

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC commit missing ChangeLog message
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:42:30 -0500

> I think that should be up to the user, to be done in the hook.  The
> information, diff and files added/removed/affected, exists outside the
> commit message so putting it inside the message duplicates the
> information.

Agreed.  One missing feature OTOH is a way to get from the log-edit
buffer to the patch that's being committed.  With PCL-CVS you can use
C-x c = to get it, but in general it's missing.

> I see your point and agree.  How about this patch to just call
> log-edit-insert-changelog?  I call it regardless of the SETUP parameter,
> but it could follow the erase-buffer call instead.

I'd rather just change the default value of the hook, so that users can
remove that entry from the hook if they don't want it run.

        Stefan