Re: get-byte

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: get-byte
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2008 22:12:02 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> Then let's write get-byte using encode-char.  I don't care how trivial
> is it (I think it isn't, not unless you know very well how raw bytes
> are handled in Emacs buffers and strings), I think we do need such an
> API.

I've just installed get-byte.

(get-byte &optional POSITION STRING)

Return a byte value of a character at point.
Optional 1st arg POSITION, if non-nil, is a position of a character to get
a byte value.
Optional 2nd arg STRING, if non-nil, is a string of which first
character is a target to get a byte value.  In this case, POSITION, if
non-nil, is an index of a target character in the string.

I wrote it in C because, I think it must run very fast in
the situaiont when this function is called.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden