RE: Please add a "Guided Tour" menu command

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Please add a "Guided Tour" menu command
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:44:57 -0800

> The reason the tour is called a "tour" is because it is
> more of a whirlwind tour of Emacs' modes than a tutorial
> on how to use each mode.

Yes, they have different purposes:

1. Tour: giving you an idea of what you can do with Emacs.

2. Tutorial: helping you get started learning how to use Emacs.

#1 is about learning what; #2 is about learning how.

> I am not 100% sure but I suspect the tour covers everything
> the tutorial covers, plus more.

The tutorial is not meant for "coverage". It's meant to lead you by the hand, to
get you started: learning some basics by doing them.

> I think the tutorial should be removed from
> Emacs, and replaced with the tour.

This flies in the face of your first statement that they have different
purposes. One cannot replace the other without changing the aim.

The tutorial should not be replaced by the tour. But it should be improved. That
can of worms was explored before, so we can leave it closed for now.