Re: Please add a "Guided Tour" menu command (was: Re: evangelizing Emacs

From: Jason Spiro
Subject: Re: Please add a "Guided Tour" menu command (was: Re: evangelizing Emacs with a graphical tutorial)
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 19:42:33 +0000 (UTC)

Chong Yidong <cyd <at> stupidchicken.com> wrote:
> It's a little counter-intuitive for menu items to open hyperlinks, at
> least in my experience.

So name the menu item this: "Emacs Guided Tour (web page)".

Or, as I mentioned months ago[1], you could ship the tour .odp and .pdf files
with Emacs like XEmacs does[2], then ask the OS to launch them in whatever it
thinks is the appropriate viewer.  I like that idea better, since I like the
slideshow version of the tour[3] much more than the webpage version.  (Though
maybe I only like it more because I am already a non-newbie Emacs user.  Do you
agree that that's probably why I like it more?)

^  [1].  http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/65537/focus=100397

^  [2].
http://ftp.xemacs.org/pub/xemacs/beta/experimental/packages/guided-tour-
0.52-pkg.tar.gz