Re: emacs --daemon should provide a way to get its process id

From: bwoster
Subject: Re: emacs --daemon should provide a way to get its process id
Date: Sat, 1 Nov 2008 07:05:29 -0700 (PDT)

Ulrich Mueller-2 wrote:

> by OpenRC's "start-stop-daemon"). What seems to be missing is an easy
> way to get the process id of the daemon.
> Most other programs running as a daemon save their process id in a
> file, typically located under /var/run.
> Any opinions about attached patch which adds a "--pidfile" option?
> Ulrich

I'm all for it! I've just spent an hour trying to test out an init.d script,
but it is not very robust without a pidfile, so your patch would make things
so much easier...

Emacs does have the (emacs-pid) lisp function, but that too is not easy to
try, and there may be race conditions when two --daemons are started.

Actually... with your patch, if two emacs --daemon --pidfile=same_file are
started, what will happen?