Re: enhancement/wish

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: enhancement/wish
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 11:20:44 -0400

On 24 Oct 2008, at 20:36, Bernhard Koenig wrote:

you get a list of "recent files". In Emacs, even with the recentf
extension, it seems impossible to add a "recentf-open-files" icon to
the toolbar. Of course you can use keybindings, but some people like
the mouse and the "recent files" in the menubar require more clicks.

It's perfectly possible. I have it in Aquamacs, and it just took me a bit of Lisp code. The full code is in aquamacs-tool-bar.el if you want to look it up. Specifically, this is what does it:

  (tool-bar-add-item '("history" . "Recent") (lambda ()
                              (interactive)
                              (popup-menu (easy-menu-filter-return
                                           (recentf-make-menu-items)
                                           "Open Recent")))
                     'recent-files
                     :visible '(and (boundp 'recentf-mode) recentf-mode)
                     :help "Pop up the Recent Files menu")