Re: Emacs 23.0 is much slower starting than Emacs 22.3

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 23.0 is much slower starting than Emacs 22.3
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:53:38 +0200

> Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 17:45:09 +0100
> From: David De La Harpe Golden <address@hidden>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>  address@hidden
>
> The file attributes are a w32-specific problem I guess

On Posix systems, `stat' (called by file-attributes) is a system call,
so it obviously doesn't depend on the Emacs versions.  By contrast, on
Windows we emulate `stat' with several quite expensive system calls.

Thus, it is meaningless to compare GNU/Linux and Windows as far as
file-attributes is concerned.

> (a) about 40x faster than your w32 emacs23 and (b) similar between
> emacs22/23 (actually slightly faster with 23 in the test runs, but that
> could just be the GC and general noise).

Yes, none of these primitives is the hot spot.