Re: Problem building emacs from CVS under MSWindow due to CR/LF and adds

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Problem building emacs from CVS under MSWindow due to CR/LF and addsection
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:58:01 +0200

> Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 07:48:49 +0200
> From: Vincent Belaiche <address@hidden>
>
> Sorry if this problem has been already submitted (actually I could not find
> the bug search for emacs under savannah to check this).
>
> I have tried to build the latest CVS version of Emacs, this morning under MSW.
>
> After configuring with configure.bat under cmd.exe, I launched `make
> bootstrap' from the MSYS bash shell.
>
> I got the following problem
>
> ---------------
> /c/Programme/GNU/emacs-install/emacs/nt>make bootstrap
> [Please ignore a syntax error on the next line - it is intentional]
> /bin/sh.exe: -c: line 1: unexpected EOF while looking for matching `"'
> /bin/sh.exe: -c: line 2: syntax error: unexpected end of file
> ', needed by `addsection'.  Stop.
> ---------------
>

> I edited the makefile under emacs, and I realized that there where plenty of
> ^M charaters which I all removed.
>
> Thene the make could go a bit further. So I can imagine that the 1st problem I
> met was due to addsection not understanding the CR characters.

No, the problem is because the port of Make you were using does not
grok well the makefile with mixed NL and CR/LF line endings.

I understand that you were using the MSYS shell and Make ports for
building Emacs.  The file nt/INSTALL does not list those as supported
build environments, and about MSYS it says this:

  In addition, using 4NT as your shell is known to fail the build process,
  at least for 4NT version 3.01.  Use CMD.EXE, the default Windows shell,
  instead. MSYS sh.exe also appears to cause various problems. If you have
  MSYS installed, try "make SHELL=cmd.exe" to force the use of cmd.exe
  instead of sh.exe.

In general, a native Windows port of Make (available from the MinGW
site), not the MSYS Make, and stock Windows shell cmd.exe is all you
should need for a successful build.