Re: by default, point should not enter the minibuffer prompt

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: by default, point should not enter the minibuffer prompt
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 09:22:36 +0900

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:
> A little help please.
>
> I tried simply binding `minibuffer-prompt-properties' so that it included
> `point-entered minibuffer-avoid-prompt' during my `C-a', but that had no
> effect.
>
> When is `minibuffer-prompt-properties' examined? Is it too late once the
> minibuffer is activated and a minibuffer key is hit?

It is used when generating the prompt.

I would suggest you make your new command a wrapper around the normal
command; that way you can take advantage of any special handling it
does.

E.g.

(defun move-bol-or-prev-bol (&optional arg)
  (interactive "p")
  (let ((orig-point (point)))
    (move-beginning-of-line arg)
    (when (= (point) orig-point)
      (goto-char (line-beginning-position 0)))))

-Miles

--
Freemason, n. An order with secret rites, grotesque ceremonies and fantastic
costumes, which, originating in the reign of Charles II, among working