Re: Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2008 09:25:35 -0700 (PDT)

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

  > Hi,
  >
  > On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 07:55:13PM +0200, csant wrote:
  > > Hi,
  >
  > > I am very glad we recently got the --daemon option.  I am having a little

  > > trouble with it, though.  When starting
  > >   $ emacs --daemon
  > > and then attaching an emacsclient with
  > >   $ emacsclient -t <file>
  > > I get the following message:
  >

  > > An error has occurred while loading `/home/csant/.emacs':
  >
  > > error: Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device

I fixed this a few days ago, someone reported it on bug-gnu-emacs.

  > No suggestions, but a "me too".  I've just updated and rebuilt Emacs-23,
  > and with this command:
  >
  >     $ ~/emacs/emacs/src/emacs -batch -l 000tests.el -f do-all-tests
  >
  > (i.e., run the CC Mode test suite),  I get the same error message,
  > namely:
  >
  >     Device 0 is not a termcap terminal device
  >
  > .  This is distressing.  It also suggests the error is nothing to do with
  > --daemon, but perhaps more to do with ttys.  The error happens both on a
  > Linux tty and an X-Windows term.

This is very strange, the code that prints the message in question is in
init_display. init_display gets called like this:

  if (!noninteractive)
    init_display ();    /* Determine terminal type.  Calls

-batch means !noninteractive is false ...