Re: fixing non-NS darwin

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
Subject: Re: fixing non-NS darwin
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2008 11:03:11 +0900

>> > This is not defined anywhere in emacs, but there was this section in
>> > an earlier version of darwin.h:
>>
>> > #if 0 /* Don't define DARWIN on Mac OS X because CoreFoundation.h uses
>> >          it to distinguish Mac OS X from bare Darwin.  */
>> > #ifndef DARWIN
>> > #define DARWIN 1
>> > #endif
>> > #endif
>>
>> > Does anyone know where this IS defined?  Also, I've been unable to
>> > find a version of CoreFoundation.h that makes the check referred to.
>>
>> It's used in CoreFoundation.h in Mac OS X 10.1 - 10.3.
>>
>> BTW, why the above comment was removed?

> Because it looked like dead code, and the description was not something
> that made it clear that it was needed as documentation, nor was the
> structure of the code.

It's quite a common way in the Emacs code to comment out with #if 0
with leaving some explanation about why it is disabled.  Especially
for the case that people might make the same mistake again in future
unconsciously if that part were completely removed.

Cleanup tasks are usually tedious, and thus would be much appreciated
if done carefully and appropriately.  But as they are also inherently
optional, not appreciated if done less carefully or unnecessarily
aggressively as in the case of MULTI_KBOARD.

                                     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
                                address@hidden