Re: segmentation fault displaying etc/HELLO on Windows

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: segmentation fault displaying etc/HELLO on Windows
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:11:01 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:
> Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>
>> 3) So I thought, let's do a non-optimizing build. This time I
>> bootstrapped (at work) with system-configuration-options "--with-gcc
>> (4.3) --no-opt --cflags -DENABLE_CHECKING=1
>> -DSITELOAD_PURESIZE_EXTRA=200000 -IC:/emacs/build/include". Now Emacs
>> does *not* crash.
>
> That might explain why I don't see any crashes. I suspect the problem
> lies in the changes made to uniscribe_encode_char, so I'll review those.
> I did resize some buffers a couple of times while writing the code, and
> may have ended up with inconsistent sizing.

Indeed, that was the problem. I reduced the buffer size to 1, since
characters that produce multiple glyphs can't be handled properly by
uniscribe_encode_char, but passed in a size of 20 (a number I'd picked
after I'd come across Indic characters that produce more than the 2
glyphs I'd originally allowed for) to the system function. It might
explain some of the unexplained display corruption I was seeing with
some Indic characters that I had to work around, so I may be able to
simplify that function now.