Re: multiple input methods (was: adding consistent extra symbols to inpu

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: multiple input methods (was: adding consistent extra symbols to input methods)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 16:30:33 +0300

>> > My original patch intends that "preposition" input methods
>> > are what handled before the normal input method (as
>> > documented).
>
>> I'm not sure if "preposition" is the right English word here.
>
> Me neither.  Anyway, it is an input method handled before
> the normal input method.

So it has the same meaning as e.g. the command `pre-command-hook'
that runs a hook before each command?  But I doubt that the word
"pre" in its name stands for "preposition".  Maybe we could do the
same and name new methods using the same short word "pre"? E.g.

    activate-pre-input-method
    inactivate-pre-input-method

>> > ??? A preposition input method can be activated globally
>> > when recorded in global-input-method-list.  In that case, in
>> > any buffer, when you activate a normal input method, that
>> > preposition input method is also activated automatically.
>> > Isn't it useful?
>
>> This is useful, but I think it should work exactly like a single input
>> method works now, i.e. since a global single input method is defined by the
>> variable `default-input-method', so an additional/preposition/subsidiary
>> input method should be defined by a similar global variable like e.g.
>> `default-input-methods' (note the plural `s' at the end of the name) or
>> `default-input-method-list'.
>
> Ah, I see your point.  But, I think that the preposition
> input methods is a little bit different from the normal
> single input method because even if we activate the
> different single input method, the same preposition input
> methods are activated.  Though, I'm not sure that this
> behaviour is the best.  It looks convenient for those people
> who switches multiple input methods but wants a consistent
> key binding for inputting specific characters.  But, perhaps
> most users don't switches multiple input methods.

I think we should provide UI that activates the normal single input
method and all pre input methods at the same time. So a sequence
`C-\ IM1,IM2,IM3 RET' will set the normal single input method
to IM1, and set pre input methods to a list '(IM2 IM3).

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/