Re: Meanness

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Meanness
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 19:49:42 +0300

> From: David Kastrup <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:37:20 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> if [my parents or spouse] choose to use a system for which I am not
> willing or able to do support.  It just means that they are on their own
> with it, nothing more, nothing less.

Shouldn't you argue with them and condemn them as being unethical and
immoral?

If not, why won't you leave me and Juanma ``on our own''?

> And frankly, my abilities for support on a machine where I can't use ssh
> for remote access would be quite limited, anyway.

You can install ssh on Windows.  And Windows has its built-in ways of
remote access out of the box.  Though I can hardly believe that this
piece of technical knowledge will change your views, so I wonder why
you raise this issue at all.

> So if your goal is to improve Emacs on Windows

I said the goal is improving Emacs.  All the rest is your invention.

> > Let's not put that goal in jeopardy by emphasizing minor (yes, minor!)
> > differences between us on how soon and how completely should each
> > private citizen switch to using Free Software and Free Software alone.
>
> That never was the issue.  The issue is more like what we have to gain
> by having more and more software developers distracted by spending much
> of their time working on supporting non-free platforms or dealing with
> the consequences of such support.

Please do yourself a favor and stop caring about how others spend
their time.  You have little if any control of that; in my experience
it's better to be grateful for whatever time they find to contribute
to goals that I consider worthy.

And while at that, how about spending all the effort and time taken by
responding to each and every article in this discussion on hacking
Emacs?