RE: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 10:00:15 -0700

> So, it's like a substring search (like what you get with * A P L TAB),
> except that the substring is anchored at the beginning of words, and
> that *Completions* only lists the words rather than actual completion
> candidates (on the assumption that there is a fair bit of
> redundancy in the list of words).  It sounds interesting.
>
> The "anchored substring search" should be fairly easy to implement as
> a new completion-style.  The *Completions* change would require less
> "modular/configurable" changes, I suspect, but it's worth trying it out.

I can't believe this. So now we're going to muck with existing completion
mechanisms even more, trying out new features, just for this Unicode character
input thing?

How about finishing what you were doing to move the completion code to Lisp, and
adding the `completing-read-function' variable we've been waiting for? Pings
about this get no reply, but you are apparently considering trying out new
completion features.

The so-called translation to Lisp has already resulted in adding new "features"
with no discussion here. The addition of `completing-read-function', unlike
those changes, will not require users to change their code in any way. How about
it? Can you please bring `completing-read' into line with `read-file-name' by
giving it a `completing-read-function' variable? Thanks.

-------