Re: mode for preprocessed files

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: mode for preprocessed files
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 08:52:31 -0400

>> (it wouldn't have occurred
>> to me that those extensions are actually used for C and C++ files).
> They are the standard extensions that C/C++ compilers generate when you
> tell them to save the preprocessed file.

I know, but in all my years of C coding, I've never seen this
"feature" used.  I've seen things piped through cpp, but not saved to
a .i(i) file.

> Compilers accept files with
> those extensions without wondering what the language is.

Of course, they don't need to wonder if it might be something completely
different since the mere fact of passing such a file to the compiler
already tells the compiler that it's some kind of source file, so at
worst the compiler has to decide which of the compiler's supported
source languages is used.  Emacs has to take into account whether such
extensions are used in completely different contexts.

        Stefan

PS: the .i and .ii extensions are not in Debian's /etc/mime.types, for example.