Re: VMS support

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: VMS support
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 09:44:12 +0200

() Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
() Wed, 23 Jul 2008 16:05:01 -0400

   The only question that I think is really relevant is: is there
   some hope that someone will pursue this work (both the
   copyright assignment issue and the update of the code to the
   Emacs-CVS-trunk codebase) in some foreseeable future.

Personally speaking, there is hope, in two parts:

a/ I received a clarification about the nuances between
   "disclaiming interest" and "copyright assignment" from the FSF
   copyright clerk (thanks!), which can be summed up (IIUC) as:
   Richard Levitte's code is ok to use, if i copyright the
   (extensive) changes i've made to it, since i myself have done
   the past/future assignment.

b/ I have a soft spot for VMS, though that spot shrinks w/ time.
   If i can finangle a $ituation to provide a port of Emacs 22 (or
   Emacs 23, once it settles), i will do it, otherwise no.

Having said that, i haven't queried potential funders yet, and the
negotiation process may take a while, and it may ultimately block
indefinitely, so "in some foreseeable future" is not indicated.

I say go ahead and zonk the VMS support.  If someone funds another
port (by me or whoever), previous source can always be re-dredged
and previous "expertise" can always be re-fudged. :-D

If anyone reading this is in a position to expedite b/ (above),
please feel free to contact me privately.

thi