Re: describe-char should display the character's Unicode name

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: describe-char should display the character's Unicode name
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 09:47:17 -0500

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 01:57:27 +0300 Juri Linkov <address@hidden> wrote:

JL> M-TAB is not a reliable key since often it is configured to switch windows.
>>
>> Not when it's invoked with `ESC Tab' :)
>>
>> Anyhow, I'll let you make this decision, I am OK with any key choice.

JL> Hmm, it seems impossible to use `M-TAB' for quail-completion.

JL> I tried to add '(("\M-\t" . quail-completion)) to the `translation-keys' arg
JL> of `quail-define-package' but it fails with

JL>    (error "Key sequence M-TAB starts with non-prefix key ")

JL> and according to its docstring, only single key character is allowed
JL> in additional key bindings:

JL>     translation-keys specifies additional key bindings used while
translation
JL>     region is active.  It is an alist of single key character vs.
corresponding
JL>     command to be called.

I wish APL keyboards were still in use :)

Well, if it can't be done, then maybe TAB should be allowed, but only if
the user turns it on (globally, not per input method, since multiple
input methods will need to use it).  It should be off by default.  That
way TAB is still useful with Quail to do indentation, but if the user
knows he won't need TAB when in a Quail input method, he can customize
it to do `quail-completion'.  That seems like a decent compromise to me,
what do you think?

Ted