Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2008 15:58:47 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
Cc: address@hidden

I do think this idea presents a chicken and egg problem though - the
shell is needed by configure, but will not be available until it has
been built by a bootstrap.

The shell could be built before running the configure.

Unfortunately, I think Lennart's idea is not practical: a typical
configure script exercises many advanced shell features, and so
crafting a shell that could run it will need to implement most of the
features we have in Bash.  Such a shell will be neither small nor
portable, because a Posix shell needs quite a few Posix features.

You might have told me before, but what advanced features are you thinking of?

Perhaps "portable" is much more important than "small". "Interactive" features might not be that important.