Re: scroll-lock-mode and goal-column

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: scroll-lock-mode and goal-column
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 21:49:43 +0200

* Stefan Monnier (2008-07-04) writes:

>> However, I'd prefer the column to be preserved.  Since this behavior of
>> `forward-line' is by design, I'm not sure if we can get rid of the
>> manual preservation of the goal column.
>
> How 'bout using next-line?

Not much better.  It sometimes happens that when the last command was
`scroll-up' and the next one is `next-line', i.e. the bottom of the
buffer is reached, the goal column will not be preserved if point is not
at the original goal column but e.g. at the start of the line.  So it
looks as if `next-line' is unaware of the goal column being in effect
for `scroll-up'.

There are other funny things going on sometimes, though they don't seem
to be related to `next-line' because they happen with `forward-line' as
well.  Start Emacs with `emacs -Q', type `C-h i d', enable Scroll Lock
mode, type `M-<' to put point at the start of the buffer, scroll up with
`C-n' till point is just below the "* Menu" line, then scroll down with
`C-p' till point reaches the start of the buffer (the line with
"(dir)Top".  Once this happens, point jumps back down to the first
content line after "* Menu" which is "* Info..." here.  (This is with
the patched version of scroll-mode.el.  Not sure if this happens with
the unpatched one as well.)

--
Ralf