Re: Suggestion: Let the help command load autoloaded functions etc

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Suggestion: Let the help command load autoloaded functions etc
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 21:55:03 +0200

> Lennart Borgman writes:
>
>  > > > I think that will be too long. How about this:
>  > > >
>  > > >   [To see Arg list, _click for loading library above_]
>  > >
>  > I think "_click for loading library_" is my favorite.
>
> The file name probably has the full path, which is indeed too long.

I don't see why it should have the full path.  The autoload cookies
don't usually have this info in them, so there is no point in deriving
and displaying it before the time of the load.

> I don't volunteer to do the work, but how about
>
>     [To see Arg list, _click for loading LIBNAME_]
>
> where LIBNAME is the library name (ie, basename without .el), and add
> a tooltip with the full file name.
>
> By the way, the English usage can be improved.  Here are some
> variations:
>
> _Show Arg list_ (loads LIBNAME).

I think in the context of the arg list, I find this text the most
straightforward suggestion yet.  It has a link for the point of interest
and mentions the side effect as a side effect.

> To show Arg list, _click to load LIBNAME_.

Clearly inferior.  The other proposal is much more of an improvement
over my suggestion.