Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 10:57:09 +0200

Thomas Lord <address@hidden> writes:

> re much discussion around the general theme of:
>
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> 'Evening, Richard!
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 01:38:28PM -0400, Richard M Stallman wrote:
>>
>>>     Richard, you're perhaps the brightest guy around, here.  How long
>>>     did it take you to get your first GNU/Linux installation installed
>>>     and _fully_ working (i.e. all peripherals, networking, X-Windows,
>>>     email, web-browsing, ....  all satisfactory)?
>

> All of user-space needs to be done over.
>
> The root problem with install difficulties, network config difficulties,
> and divergent opinions about how to lay out an emacs install is simply
> that unix user space and unix "best" practices for source management
> haven't much improved for almost two decades.

Having worked with Unix and Unix-like installations for more than two
decades, I can only say that you are utterly wrong.

And in fact, it is mostly the driving force of the _free_ Unix variants
that has brought forward most advances in source management, package
management, and network configurations.

If you want to get nostalgic at least over configuration, try Slackware
one of these days.  I think it is still pretty much old-spirit.

--
David Kastrup