Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs

From: Geoffrey Teale
Subject: Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 09:11:45 +0200

On Jul 15, 2008, at 3:05 AM, Miles Bader wrote:

N.B. I come not to praise the Debian Emacs Policy, but to give it its
due: it's a reasonable compromise for the vast majority of users of
Emacsen.

My impression is that debian's emacs _policy_ is more or less OK, and
it's a good thing they have one, but the last time I bothered to really
look, the code implementing it was a huge mess.  I asked about it then
on debian-emacsen, and the basic response was "we don't really
understand it either".

I hope it's better these days...

Whilst we are on the subject, for a large part of the last five years I have had to work with Debian and Debian based distributions and I quickly learned to simply not install the Debianised versions of GNU Emacs and install from source myself - particularly if I was interested in using Emacs 22 (and now 23) as the Debian packages were typically less stable. Moreover I found that start up times for emacs on Debian are typically slow.

On a personal note - I find the idea of subverting the norms of an application to reduce usability in a distribution, not increase it. Especially where the tool in question (Emacs) is intended for a technical audience.

I am certain that the Debian set up is there with the best of intentions (just like their Common LISP setup), but nothing has made me more frustrated in a GNU/Linux distribution than the Emacs setup under debian, and anyone of my colleagues at my last employer we testify to that :)

--
Geoffrey Teale
Software and Technology Consultant, München