Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?

From: Johannes Weiner
Subject: Re: Fix UK spelling in comments and ChangeLog entries?
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 16:10:51 +0200

Hi,

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

> 'n Tag, Johannes!
>
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2008 at 09:36:55AM +0200, Johannes Weiner wrote:
>> Hi,
>
>> Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> > British spellings, etymologically more accurate, refined and
>> > cultured, are clearly so superior to ignorant and vulgar
>> > Americanisms, that it vexes me that Emacs has chosen to use the
>> > latter.  I mean, "color" is something you wear round your neck, isn't
>> > it?  And surely if the Americans had had the moral character to
>> > retain proper spelling, they wouldn't have brutishly, arrogantly and
>> > indiscriminately kidnapped several hundred men, detained them
>> > unlawfully in Cuba for many years and tortured them.  Although this
>> > is intuitively obvious, it's a little difficult to demonstrate
>> > scientifically.  Hey, I can't help the prejudices of my upbringing,
>> > though I try.  Sometimes. ;-)
>
>> While we are discussing vulgarism, it is called ,,Nürnberg'' ;)
>
> It is, indeed.  Trouble is, and I can't be Frank enough here, native
> English speakers can't pronounce Nürnberg properly.  Even I can't manage
> it, though I've lived here for some while.  Fürth is even more
> troublesome.

Something like `nurn-bairk'?  And `furrd' (with a very short ur and with
an `r' that does not sound like a mouth full of chewing gum).

HTH, but I figure people already tried to teach you ;)

> Still, it could be worse.  I've seen "Nuremburg" in print.  Funny,
> though, because the castle here is far more prominent than any
> mountain.

Ouch!  But this is completely due to your pronunciation.  There is an
audible difference between `burg' and `berg' (in German) you can even
make out through the worst mobile-phone connection while standing next
to a starting jet engine.

`boork' vs. `bairk' or something.

        Hannes