Re: recognizing a file by scanning it

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: recognizing a file by scanning it
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:05:09 +0100

Thien-Thi Nguyen wrote:
() Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
() Mon, 28 Apr 2008 00:28:03 +0100

   The image entries were all dropped completely because of the
   supposed security issues.

Searching gmane, i see a huge list of postings w/ the subject
"Image mode".  Is that what you are referring to?

A brief read (handful of pages) gives me the impression that the
issue there is the security of image libraries (libpng, etc).  Am
i missing something?

Yes, that was the issue. Rereading that thread and others on the subject, it seems that RMS's solution was different than I remembered - he made image-mode prompt the user by default in all cases, and it was later restored when Lars Magnusson convinced him that no other application was this paranoid.