Re: Assertion failes in w32uniscribe.c

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Assertion failes in w32uniscribe.c
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2008 17:36:46 +0200

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Juanma Barranquero wrote:
>> But some operations are still too slow to be useful. Scrolling
>> etc/NEWS (with presumably contains not many non-ASCII chars) with the
>> new backend is unbearable, for example.
>>

> C-v in a buffer viewing etc/NEWS is near instantaneous for me, so I
> think you'll need to debug why it is taking so long on your machine.

What machine are you using? On a 550 MHz Athlon it is very slow: you can
see how the screen is repainted, the CPU usage goes to 100% and, if you
keep C-v pressed, no redraw is performed until the the end of the buffer
is reached. When I keep C-v pressed on the same Emacs started with
--disable-font-backend, CPU activity is below 15%.

On a 2 GHz Pentium M, Emacs uses more than 50% CPU load while scrolling
etc/NEWS.

--
Oscar