Re: nntp.el: netcat

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: nntp.el: netcat
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 13:09:33 +0900

>> The function name `nntp-open-via-netcat' found in the doc string
>> of `nntp-open-telnet-stream' is not proper for it.  Because...

> I'll trust your judgment on that.  All I wanted to do was to make sure
> we propose to use netcat before telnet since I've had several problems
> with telnet.

I see.  And thanks for improving nntp.el and gnus.texi.

>>|      (nntp "outside"
>>|            (nntp-pre-command "runsocks")
>>|            (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-via-netcat)
>>|            (nntp-address "the.news.server"))

>> Have you verified it?

> No, indeed.

Google shows the examples for "runsocks nc", so it will probably
be valid.  Though I'm not sure that it is applicable to various
versions of netcat (the typical ones are the BSD version and the
GNU version).

>> In addition, the arguments ("-e" "none") passed to ssh seems to
>> be necessary:

>>| -e escape_char
>>|         Sets the escape character for sessions with a pty (default: ‘~’).
                                                          ===
I noticed I've overlooked it just after sending the last message.

> No, because the ssh connection will not use a pty (that was necessary
> (and problematic) for telnet, but luckily it's not needed for netcat).

Thanks for clarifying it.

Regards,