Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Emacs repository benchmark: bzr and git
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:26:09 +0100

dhruva <address@hidden> writes:

> I personally find it odd to compare between a GNU product and another
> GPL software. IMHO, we should be treating all GPLed softwares equally.
> Hence, comparison between git and bzr can be termed as apple to apple
> comparision.

Not quite.  git is licensed as "GPL v2 only" which means that its code
can't be interchanged freely with code of the GNU project.  While it is
free software in itself, this puts it at a different level with regard
to how much interchange is possible.

So we are not talking apples and apples here.  As I said, I am not sure
that the decision is the best decision even if viewed from a political
angle.  But it is not as arbitrary as some want to paint it.