Re: 23.0.60; File corruption when Gnus reads .overview

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; File corruption when Gnus reads .overview
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 23:00:27 +0100

On Thu, 27 Mar 2008 21:57:07 +0100 Reiner Steib <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 14 2008, Stephen Berman wrote:
>
>> With my current build (GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+
>> Version 2.12.0) of 2008-03-13 on escher), the file corruption has
>> disappeared, but Gnus still has a problem with the .overview file: when
>> I open the gmane.emacs.help group, all my marks are gone except the one
>> corresponding to the entry in the .overview file that occurs earlier
>> than the first entry containing the problematic non-ascii characters.
>> In other words, it appears that Gnus is not processing the .overview
>> file after it reads the problematic non-ascii characters.  I would be
>> grateful if a Gnus hacker could look into this, as I cannot usefully
>> read gmane.emacs.help with Gnus from the current trunk.
>
> It's the agent cache overview, right?  I don't use the agent, so I'm
> not familiar with it, but IIRC it's no problem to delete the corrupt
> overview file.  Does this help?

This does not help: after deleting the .overview file from
News/agent/nntp/news.gmane.org/gmane/emacs/help (but retaining the
corresponding .agentview file), all marked (ticked) articles, as well as
all seen but unread articles, are missing from the summary buffer.
However, the good news is that bug has apparently been fixed in the mean
time: I updated from the trunk today and after opening gmane.emacs.help
with Gnus all the marks were intact, and remained so after closing and
reopening.  This is with the previous 14 MB .overview file reinstated.
(I was sent an email on March 19 from the testbed Emacs bugtracker
saying that Stefan Monnier had closed the bug, but it didn't give
details and I cannot tell from the change logs which change contains the
fix (I was away when the email was sent and wasn't able to update until
today).)

Steve Berman