Regression in 22.2 jit-lock?

From: Ulrich Mueller
Subject: Regression in 22.2 jit-lock?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 19:06:47 +0100

Not sure if the following is a regression, or just an incompatible
change.

When editing some 500 line bash script today, I had the impression
that editing was quite sluggish in 22.2, as compared to 22.1.

I've prepared a minimal example to reproduce the different behaviour:

   1. Open attached file test.sh with "emacs -Q"
   2. Remove one of the double quotes inside function foo()

While in 22.1 fontification of function bar() is delayed by 0.5
seconds, namely the default value of jit-lock-context-time, it is
immediate in 22.2. For large buffers this leads to the sluggish
behaviour mentioned above.

Is it possible that jit-lock-context-time is no longer honoured under
some circumstances?

Ulrich

#!/bin/bash

foo() {