Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:47:19 +0100

Juri Linkov wrote:
But using properties seems to be more preferable since there is a need to
implement more related features like delete-selection-mode and inventing
more funny interactive codes doesn't seem like a wise thing to do.

The only problem I see is that properties currently are hard to discover.
I think that just as `C-h f' describe-function displays information
when the function is advised, we should change `C-h v' describe-variable
to display information about attached variable properties as well.

Also as Kim already noted supporting external packages using the
interactive specification code approach would be a nightmare.
So it seems it would be the best to go the way Kim suggested and
just reimplement in C cua-selection-mode with properties that was
proven by time and experience to be the right solution.

Agreed. If description of properties are added it will also be easy to add specific description for properties with known use.