Re: image.el doesn't associate image-mode with .JPG files

From: Chris Moore
Subject: Re: image.el doesn't associate image-mode with .JPG files
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:48:58 +0100

On Thu, Dec 21, 2006 at 11:59 PM, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I've made my decision about this, and I don't want to argue it
>>> further.
>> Does anybody agree with Richard on this one?

> Technically I prefer Jason's solution, but I think in practice it's an
> extremely minor issue.  I've only ever had problems with uppercase
> extensions on image files, so the less general fix of simply adding
> appropriate entries to auto-mode-alist would suffice for me at least.

I'd agree to that, but I understand Richard's answer to be "no it would be
wrong to do that, let's never again consider it".

I just transferred another bunch of .JPG images from my phone, and they still don't open as images in Emacs.

I remember there was a long argument about how to fix this, but it seems nothing was done about it.  Was that an oversight, or do we really not want Emacs to be able to open .JPG images?