RE: Transient Mark Mode on by default

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Transient Mark Mode on by default
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 00:07:20 -0700

> > If the reason for enabling TMM by default is to make life easier for
> > new users, then I think it is not enough of an improvement without
> > also enabling selection with Shift-movement keys.
>
> The plan is to add shift selection too.

Oh, in that case, please remove my vote for it. I want new users to learn about
the mark and C-SPC. TMM works well with Emacs and its notion of a user-set mark,
IMO. It does not dumb Emacs selection down in any way (provided
mark-even-if-inactive is non-nil).

If you want automatic mark activation via Shift by default, then it sounds like
you might want CUA selection mode by default.

I don't want CUA selection mode by default, but I wouldn't mind delete-selection
mode by default. (FWIW, delete-selection mode is what I use.)