Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor

From: John S. Yates, Jr.
Subject: Re: Neat features in Eclipse editor
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 16:06:18 -0500

Thomas Lord writes:

>Even better, add a few functions to emacs and turn it into an
>X11 window manager, extensible in self-documenting lisp.
>Consider the root window as a frame.

Has already been done:

  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/XWindowEmacsManager

The problem is that a few functions alone do not a polished window manager
make.  Do you honestly believe that the emacs community would find the
expertise, the focus and the bandwidth to match any of the projects that I
cited?  I am sure that it would do a competent job organizing and laying out
emacs windows.  I have much less confidence that the idiosyncrasies of windows
displayed by the full panoply of non-emacs applications would receive
comparable attention.

There is also an important argument against having emacs at the bottom of the
stack.  So long as emacs remains single threaded both window and input event
management would likely freeze each time emacs became busy.

/john