Re: Foreign file names on MS-Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Foreign file names on MS-Windows
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:26:35 +0200

> Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2008 15:38:05 +0000
> From: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > A temporary bandaid, and the only solution that is practical for Emacs
> > 22, is to modify `readdir' to return the 8+3 aliase of the problematic
> > file name instead of the long name.
>
> Seems OK to me.

Thanks for the feedback.

> Is readdir really the only place that needs to be fixed though?

I think so, yes.  All the primitives that I could have thought about
call `readdir' to get the file names.  file-attributes obviously
doesn't, but if it is called with a file name that came from
`readdir', then file-attributes will work correctly as well.  If
file-attributes is called with a file name that cannot be encoded in
the current codepage, it will fail, but that problem has no solution
without full-blown UTF-16 file name support, I think.

But if you find other primitives that fail for such file names, please
name them.  Right now, the only ones that call FindFirstFile, apart of
`readdir', are `stat' and `w32_get_long_filename'.  I don't think the
latter can benefit of the kind of change I made in `readdir'.