Re: Emacs Bazaar repository

From: Jonathan Lange
Subject: Re: Emacs Bazaar repository
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:04:14 +1100

On Wed, Mar 19, 2008 at 7:05 AM, Andreas Schwab <address@hidden> wrote:

>  > This question is over and decided.
>  > We will use GNU Bzr, because it is a GNU package.
>
>  That is a very bad move.  That will mean that nobody will be able to
>  effectively work on emacs any more.

I don't know about that.

I hacked the README file and replaced every 'e' with an 'o' (emulating
a common typo for me). cvs diff takes over 5 seconds, Bazaar takes
under 1. It took me a lot longer to get the Bazaar repository than it
did to get the Emacs working tree, but now that I have it, lots of
basic operations are faster.

My CVS skills are really, really rusty, so this might not be a fair
comparison, but 'bzr status' takes about 0.3 seconds while 'cvs
status' takes about 8 seconds. Also, although this is a bit
subjective, I find the output of 'bzr status' a lot more helpful for
quickly assessing what I've changed.

Most working days, I really only[1] use 'status', 'diff', 'merge',
'branch', 'revert', 'commit' and basic file ops like 'add' and 'mv'.
These benefit greatly from local access.

jml

[1] Well, those are the primitives I use. I also frequently use
'shelve' and 'unshelve' from the rather sweet bzrtools plugin.