Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Feature request : Tab-completion for 'shell-comand'
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 11:00:48 -0400

> Is there really anyone using `remove-overlays' who also wants its
> feature that "Overlays might be moved and/or split."

It's used by outline.el (it's where it comes from, as a matter of fact)
and IIRC I've changed a few other similar packages to use it rather than
roll their own.

Fundamentally, these packages don't care about overlays, they just want
to place properties, so they use overlays but would rather use
text-properties (except they need/want to know which properties are
theirs so they can safely remove them).

        Stefan