Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: d

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: 23.0.50; Middle w in of permissions in dired-mode is red and bold: dired-warning
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:20:10 +0200

> It's your call, but at this late stage in the pretest, I'd advise
> against _any_ changes that are not strictly necessary for a functional
> Emacs.  Face appearance cannot be an obstacle to Emacs functionality,
> IMO, because it's all too easy to customize such a face.

But this will require for most users of dired to customize this face
immediately after seeing it, and always run Emacs with .emacs that
contains this customization.  This will be annoying for them.

> Now, Martin did his change for a reason, see the log entry above.  It
> looks like the change on the trunk by Juri simply reversed Martin's
> change (modulo face renaming), which means we are now back at the
> problem whereby world-writable files will not stand out on 8-color
> text terminals.  At the very least, we should take care of that
> original problem on the trunk.

No, your analysis is not correct.

This problem began with the following bug report:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2007-08/msg00212.html