Re: Shift selection using interactive spec

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Shift selection using interactive spec
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 10:07:13 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> So we define (i) an elisp function called, say,
>> shift-translation-handler, and (ii) a new interactive code that says
>> to call shift-translation-handler when a command is activated through
>> a shift translated keybinding.
>
> No: the function is called every time.  *All* the work is done by the
> elisp function.

I think it would be more elegant to split this up into two pieces: a
variable this-single-command-shift-translated that says whether shift
translation occurred, and a function shift-translation-handler that
temporarily sets transient mark mode.  Both would be available to
elisp programs.

The new interactive spec code ^ would then call
shift-translation-handler if this-single-command-shift-translated is
non-nil, but elisp programs could accomplish this just as easily via
(if this-single-command-shift-translated ...).

This could also make it easier to handle the possibility that certain
commands might want to accomodate shift selection, but need to handle
it differently than the default.